2016-17 Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme for MSc Public Health for Eye Care at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are a joint initiative between the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (with funding from DFID) and UK universities, to support scholarships for students from developing Commonwealth countries who would not otherwise be able to study in the UK. The Scheme is administered by the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
Each Scholarship provides
- Student concessionary or other approved airfare from the student’s home country to the United Kingdom, and return home on expiry of the scholarship
- Approved tuition and examination fees
- A stipend (personal maintenance/living allowance) of GBP £15,000 for 12 months from co-funder BCPB. Please note that no additional allowances are paid for spouses or other dependants.
- A grant towards the expenses of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable
- A warm clothing allowance, where applicable
- A study travel allowance
- An excess baggage allowance for books only
- The monthly stipend allowance quoted is the London rate from 1 October 2015.
Applicants’ eligibility criteria
- be nationals of (or permanently resident in) a developing Commonwealth country, as identified by Commonwealth Scholarship Commission UK, and not currently be living or studying in a developed country
- hold a first degree at either first or upper second class level
- be sufficiently fluent in English to pursue the course and meet the School’s English language proficiency requirements
- have not previously studied for one year or more in a developed country
- be able to confirm in writing that neither they or their families would otherwise be able to pay for the proposed course of study
- be willing to confirm that they will return to their home country as soon as their period of study is complete
- have submitted an application for MSc study for one of the eligible courses at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine by 1 March 2016
- have submitted a 2016-17 CSSS LSHTM expression of interest application to the Scholarships team by 1 March 2016
- have submitted an application to the Commonwealth via the EAS system by 1 March 2016
How to Apply
The deadline for this funding is 1 March 2016.
The application process for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Scheme funding has 3 (three) steps:
- Application for admission to the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine via the School’s standard MSc study application process, and
- Application for the funding using the LSHTM Expression of Interest Form, and
- Application to the Commonwealth via their EAS system
Every candidate must complete all 3 steps, and must submit all the necessary supporting documents as instructed for each step. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered for this funding.
Candidates should read and follow the details outlined below for the different steps/parts of the application process.
- MSc course application
To make an application for course study please complete and submit an MSc application with all the necessary supporting documents, including your transcript/s, CV, two references, and a copy of your passport. Please follow the link on the ‘How to Apply’ tab under the relevant course page and choose the online application option. In addition to submitting all of the MSc course application supporting documents, applicants wishing to be considered for Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme funding must also
- ensure that their referees submit references to the School as soon as possible and certainly by the funding application deadline of 1 March 2016;
- submit test results confirming suitable evidence of English language at the time of application.
Please be aware that an MSc application submitted without the necessary supporting documents will not be considered for this funding.
Applications should be sent as soon as possible after 2016-17 applications open sometime in November 2015 to ensure that, where possible, a decision on whether the candidate has been made an offer of admission for study at the School is known by the scholarship deadline.
- Application for CSSS funding using EAS
Candidates must apply to the Shared Scholarship Scheme via the Electronic Application System (EAS) found on the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission website. A detailed information guide showing applicants how to complete the electronic application form and a link to the EAS can be found on the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission website here.
Due to the high level of administration for this Scholarship, all three application steps for these awards must be made by the School deadline of 1 March 2016.
Successful candidates will normally be advised of the results via the EAS system no later than July 2015.