Nigeria national survey of visual impairment and blindness
This national survey, of adults aged 40 years and above, entailed examining over 13,500 individuals in 305 locations across Nigeria.
Findings have been disseminated widely and were used to draft the National Prevention of Blindness Plans. Additional resources have also been provided by the Ministry of Health for Eye Care
- Dineen Brendan, Gilbert Clare, Rabiu M Mansur, Kyari Fatima, Abdull M Mahdi, Tafida Abubakar, Ezelum Christian, Entekume Gabriel, Adenike Abiose, Hannah Faal, Jonathon J Jiya, Chinenyem P Ozemela, Pak Sang Lee and Murthy VS Gudlavalleti. The Nigerian National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey: Rationale, objectives and detailed methodology. BMC 2008 8: 17.
- Kyari F., Gudlavalleti Murthy V S, Sivsubramaniam S., Gilbert CE., Abdull MA., Entekume G., Foster A. and Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Study Group. Prevalence of Blindness and Visual Impairment in Nigeria: The national blindness and visual impairment survey. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 50: 2033-9.
- Abdull MM, Sivasubramaniam S, Murthy GV, Gilbert C, Abubakar T, Ezelum C, Rabiu M. Causes of Blindness and Visual Impairment in Nigeria: The Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey. IOVS 2009 50(9): 4,114-20
- Gilbert CE., Murthy GVS., Sivasubramaniam S., Kyari F., Imam A., Rabiu MM., Abdull M and Tafida A. Couching in Nigeria: prevalence, risk factors and visual acuity outcomes. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2010 Oct;17(5):269-75.
- Rabiu MM, Gilbert CE, Murthy VS Gudlavalleti, Selvaraj Sivasubramaniam Fatima Kyari, Abdul Usman Imam, Tafida Abubakar on behalf of Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Study Group. Ecological determinants of blindness in Nigeria. S African Med J. 2011 101: 53-58
- Imam AU., Gilbert CE., Sivasubramaniam S., Murthy GVS., Maini R. and Rabiu MM on behalf of the Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Study Group. Outcome of cataract surgery in Nigeria: visual acuity, autorefraction and optimal Intraocular Lens powers- Results from Nigeria National Survey. Ophthalmology 2011 118: 719-724
- Ezelum C., Razavi H., Selvaraj S., Gilbert C.E., Murthy G.V.S., Entekume G., Tafida A. and the Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Study Group. Refractive errors in Nigerian adults: prevalence, types and spectacle coverage. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2011;52 5449-5456
- Hang My Tran, Abdull MM, Selvaraj Sivasubramaniam, Murthy VS Gudlavalleti, Clare E Gilbert, Shaheen P Shah, Ezelum CC, Tafida Abubakar, and Bankole Olufunmilayo O. on behalf of the Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Study Group. Quality of life and visual function in Nigeria: findings from the National Survey of blindness and visual impairment. Br J Ophthalmol 2011 95:1646-51.
- Entekume G., Murthy G.V.S., Selvaraj S., Jaymini and Gilbert C.E. Prevalence, causes, and risk factors for functional low vision in nigeria: Results from the national survey of blindness and visual impairment. IOVS 2011 52: 6714-19.
- Abubakar T, Gudlavalleti MV, Sivasubramaniam S, Gilbert CE, Abdull MM, Imam AU. Coverage of hospital-based cataract surgery and barriers to the uptake of surgery among cataract blind persons in nigeria: the Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2012 Apr;19(2):58-66.
- M Mansur Rabiu, Fatima Kyari, Christian Ezelum, Elizabeth Elhassan, Safiya Sanda, Gudlavalleti, V.S.Murthy, Selvaraj Sivasubramaniam, Clare Glibert and the Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment study group. Review of the publications of the Nigeria national blindness survey: Methodology, prevalence, causes of blindness and visual impairment and outcome of cataract surgery.Annals of African J Med. 2012 11: 125-130.
- Gudlavalleti VS Murthy, Samantha Fox, Selvaraj Sivasubramaniam, Clare E Gilbert, Abdull M Mahdi, Abdullahi U Imam, Gabriel Entekume on behalf of the Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Study Group. Prevalence and risk factors for hypertension and association with ethnicity in Nigeria: results from a national survey. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2013 Sep 11; 24:1 -7
- Abdull M Mahdi, Mansur Rabiu, Clare Gilbert, Selvaraj Sivasubramaniam,Gudlavalleti VS Murthy, Christian Ezelum, Gabriel Entekume6 on behalf of the Nigeria National Blindness and Visual Impairment Study Group. Prevalence and risk factors for lens opacities in Nigeria: results of the national blindness and low vision survey. IOVS 2014 55 2642-2651
- Kyari F, Tafida A, Sivasubramaniam S, Murthy GV, Peto T, Gilbert CE. Prevalence and risk factors for diabetes and diabetic retinopathy: results from the Nigeria national blindness and visual impairment survey. BMC Public Health 2014, 14:1299
Sightsavers, Ministry of Health, Velux Stiftung